Common Wealth Development, Inc. is a nonprofit community development corporation, seeking a Maintenance Technician to assist in the maintenance and rehabilitation work of 174 affordable housing units and 75,000 square feet of commercial space. The maintenance coordinator will be part of the maintenance team with 2 other full time maintenance personnel plus administrative support. This is a full-time position (40 hours/week). Compensation is $23.00 – $25.00/ hour (Coordinator Level), depending on experience with full benefits, including: health insurance (health, dental, optical), retirement plan, paid vacation & sick leave.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instruction, self-motivate and work independently
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Have own vehicle, clean driving record and liability insurance
- Have basic set of personal tools
- Ability to lift 50 pounds, work from ladders at moderate heights, and engage in strenuous physical activity
- Basic computer skills and ability to learn new computer software and programs
- Working knowledge of tools, materials, methods, and practices used in residential & commercial maintenance
- Availability for on-call emergency maintenance rotation on evenings and weekends at least once but no more than twice per month
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills. Ability to work within a team dynamic.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, manage time effectively and prioritize work
- Ability to document maintenance work and maintain records in digital applications
- Experience working with/serving with people from diverse backgrounds
- Lived experience with low-income housing, housing insecurity, or racially diverse communities
- Bilingual, multilingual, or ESL
- Experience in residential and/or commercial maintenance
- Experience in trades including but not limited to carpentry, plumbing, HVAC, electrical, masonry, drywall and appliance repair
- Understanding of occupational hazards and safety methods (OSHA)
Common Wealth values diverse life experience in its hiring process and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Bilingual, bicultural, people of color, and people with lived experience with housing insecurity and affordable housing are strongly encouraged to apply. We value the work of our local schools and educators, and graduates of Madison area high schools are strongly encouraged to apply. Our team is diverse in every sense of the word, but united in our linked fate, shared prosperity, and our commitment to an upstream approach to health equity and violence prevention.
Applications are considered complete when both an application and cover letter are received.
Application packets must contain each of the following:
1. Completed employment application
2. Resume or CV
3. Cover letter describing your experience:
* In residential or commercial maintenance or the trades; and
* with people from low-income and racially diverse communities
Preference will be given to complete application packets received by 8:00 am Monday, June 2nd, 2023.
Applications accepted until position filled.